If you’ve ever had a dental injury, have known someone with a cleft palate, or have witnessed extensive facial malalignment, you know how debilitating these conditions can be. The negative effects of these conditions can range from the trivial, such as loss of your million-dollar smile, to the serious, such as extreme disfigurement. This is where one of dentistry’s nine specialty areas — oral surgery — can help!
Oral surgery focuses on the diagnosis and surgical treatment of dental diseases, injuries and defects, related to the functional and esthetic aspects of the face, mouth, teeth and jaws. Some of the conditions that can be treated with oral surgery include dental and maxillofacial implants, dentoalveolar surgery to remove impacted teeth, cosmetic surgery, and orthognathic surgery, also called corrective jaw surgery. At Harbour Pointe Oral Surgery, we perform many types of oral surgical procedures to help create your beautiful smile and self-image.
Oral surgery has several benefits, and if done right, can positively affect the self-esteem of patients. In this article, we’ll talk about some of the benefits and beauty of oral surgery.
- Replacement of a single tooth for the long-term: If you are missing a tooth and decide to replace it with an implant, you have chosen a highly successful, long-term treatment. If you choose a conventional method to replace a missing tooth, such as a bridge or a denture, you will restore the crown of your tooth, but not your root, which lies below the gum line. This means that you will probably have to replace the device and will also have to undergo future repair. Oral surgery and a dental implant means that you replace the entire tooth with a long-lasting and stable solution.
- Restore deficits and avoid permanent damage: Often, your mandibular and maxillary jaw problems are progressive, which means unless treated, they get worse. With innovative techniques in bone grafting such as L-PRF we can treat these defects in the bone before they get worse and improve the ones that have already started to cause problems for you. We can replace the lost tissue with several types of bone grafting and soft tissue grafts. This will help restore your natural smile and beauty again as well as prevent damage.
- Address the underlying problem: Oral surgery can address the underlying problem, and not just the symptom. For example, if you have misaligned jaws, we recommend jaw alignment orthognathic surgery in conjunction with your orthodontist. We work closely with your dentist and orthodontist to create a smile that is esthetic and functional.
- Help in restoring a positive self-image and self-esteem: Oral surgery when done right, can help you regain your lost appearance, smile and beauty, thereby resulting in an increase in self-esteem and a positive self-image.
- Prevent tooth loss: If oral surgery, such as dental implants are done on time, it can help prevent tooth loss and restore your teeth, especially if the latter have been lost to injury or infection.
- Restore your smile: This may seem trivial, but in reality, it is not! Among the first things that people notice about us, is our smile. If you have conditions that affect your smile, such as missing teeth, a cleft palate, jaw misalignment, or a visible tumor on your lip or gum, it can result in anxiety for you. Oral surgery can help in treating all of these conditions and create your unique smile.
So, now you know more about Oral Surgery and Dental Implants at Harbour Pointe and the kinds of conditions it can treat, as well as its benefits. With rapid advances being made in the field, it is only a matter of time before new procedures are added to our arsenal. So, here’s to your million-dollar smile…always!