Are you afraid to smile because you have missing, chipped or discolored teeth? Are you embarrassed when you smile? Well, if you are, there’s a simple solution to restore your natural smile – Dental Implants! Dental implants are for anyone with missing or damaged teeth, due to injury, disease, or aging.
Dental implants have been in the United States for decades and have been improved upon and perfected over the years. They are also increasingly popular. According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID), 500,000 American adults undergo implant therapy every year. So every year many people improve their smile and appearance with dental implants.
The procedure for inserting dental implants has a success rate of nearly 98% if proper placement procedures and oral hygiene regimens are followed.
So, what exactly are dental implants and why are they so popular?
A Brief Look at Dental Implants
Dental implants are anchors that are surgically placed in your jaw. A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath the gum line that allows your dentist to mount replacement teeth or a bridge into that area.
An implant does not come loose like a denture can. Dental implants also benefit oral health as they do not need to be anchored to other teeth, like bridges. After inserting the post, there is a waiting period of few months, after which the implant is ready for the permanent tooth replacement or prosthetic to be placed on the anchor.
Choosing Dental Implants
One of the considerations in choosing dental implants is your overall health and how likely the procedure is to be successful. Dental implants may not work if you:
- Are in poor overall health
- Have severe gum disease
- Are a heavy smoker
- Are being treated for osteoporosis
- Have type 1 diabetes or a severe autoimmune disorder
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental Implants have certain benefits that are not provided by any other tooth treatment method. Some of these benefits are:
- They help improve your look: Dental implants can fill in gaps in your smile and help improve your appearance. With dental implants, missing teeth need no longer ruin your smile. In fact, dental implants are the most natural replacement for missing teeth.
- They let you enjoy your favorite foods: With missing teeth and even dentures, chewing can be very difficult. Dental implants can restore your ability to chew food. Dental implants are strong and stable and function like real teeth.
- They prevent your teeth from shifting: If you have missing teeth, the remaining teeth may cave in or shift out of their place into the empty space. This can hinder bite support. Dental implants can prevent your remaining teeth from shifting out of place.
- They preserve healthy bone: Dental implants can protect your healthy bone. When the jawbone is not being used to support a natural tooth, it deteriorates. Dental implants help stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- They can improve your self-esteem: Missing teeth can result in low self-esteem and embarrassment and can result in a low self-image with devastating psychological consequences. Dental implants can restore your natural smile and improve your self-esteem.
A beautiful smile is a powerful thing and can help you boost your self-confidence and help you overcome inhibitions in both your professional and your personal life. At the Harbour Pointe Oral Surgery & Advanced Dental Implant Center, we specialize in inserting dental implants and restoring your natural smile.
So, if you are missing teeth or want to improve your smile, get in touch with us for a free consult and explore possible treatment options, including dental implants.